Sunday, November 24, 2013

MelbNano: 2013 Completed.

Many of you will remember that I was a fairly last minute joiner of this year's NaNo race. Yesterday, I finished the 50,000 words in 30 days, over two different novels and with two more novel ideas jumping up and ready to go. There's a part of me that is exhausted and done with writing (I wrote the 39,000 words in the lead up to the actual NaNo month...). That part of me is saying, 'Yeah, Nikki, just take the rest of the month off! Start writing again in December.'

I'll let you know how that goes ;)

I stopped actually "doing" NaNo for the last couple of years cause I hadn't managed to finish one for a while before that. I think the closest I managed recently was about 48,000 words. I hated that story by the end of it and couldn't pallet sitting down to pen even another 2k words. This year was different. Not only did I start the month halfway through a novel, and therefore get a refresher novel partway through, I loved what I was writing, almost the whole way through.

As well as that, I discovered this year all the write-in events happening around Melbourne, and attended many of them myself. I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon thinking back fondly particularly to the Night of Manuscripting Madly held in South Melbourne at Complete Post.



I remember explaining this night to my mum beforehand.

Me: I'm going to an all night writing sleepover.
Mum: Do you know the other people who are going?
Me: Some.
Mum: .... Is there going to be drinking?
Me: .... No? But there'll be more than enough sugar and caffeine to keep us going!

And there was :D

I also managed to score my very own poster from the raffle that happened at about midnight.


So, a great big thank you to our organiser of all things NaNo-y, @notalwaysthere, and all the new friends I made who motivated me and kept me writing madly this month. It's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment